January 8, 2012

You Decide - Junior Suite Decor

Now that the majority of our renovations are complete (at least until after the wedding), it's time to start decorating. This is my favorite part of the process because I get to turn Gregg's hard work of making our house livable from an infrastructure standpoint and transform it into a cozy home.


Junior Suite Furniture- What We Already Have
Window Coverings: Roman Shades in This Fabric
Matte Black Long Dresser
Matte Black Daybed
Dark Wood Towel Cabinet
Junior Suite - Pulling together the Design
The first room to tackle is the junior suite. Remember when you helped decide the grey walls (here)? Well now it's on to helping me decide which color furniture to place. I gave Gregg three options for the primary furniture like the bed:
  1.  natural darker wood 
  2. white / ivory / antique white / cream
  3. black / espresso
He eliminated option #1 but we can't decide between two and three. HELP!!!

White-ish
 The beauty of white is it screams class and has a a more effeminate touch which matches this refined space. In contrast to other rooms that have wood-heavy details, this room is void of those touches. The bathroom is already designed with the same palette of white tiles and darker grey walls.
A Peak Into the Bathroom
I also like the option of playing with re purposing some french provincial nightstands and painting them yellow and them combining it all with some of our existing black pieces.
White on lite grey (similar to our walls)
White + Darker wood accent
An example of white bed + black accent furniture
A French Provincial take on white


Black-ish
Black has the benefit of more closely matching the existing pieces as well as providing a more masculine take on the space.
LOVE idea of black-lacquering an antique bed


Yellow Nightstands anyone?
A neutral base for any color scheme


So what do you think? Dark or light bed? Voice your opinion and then check back to see how it turns out.

4 comments:

  1. Ok, so this is kinda like me throwing back your idea at you, but remember when we were discussing re-doing my bedroom and you mentioned that I could combine dark espresso with white furniture pieces (or even paint white accents on some pieces)? I hate giving away that idea because that's what I am sticking with for my room but I think that would look really cool in this room :))) Personally, I don't like all white furniture (go figure, that's what I have in my room) but you already have 2 large black pieces, and there is white accent in your Roman shades, so why not play with white/dark combo for the rest?
    PS: i have a special feeling in my heart for this bed. Thinking about relocating Alice Palace to the Junior Suite ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forgot to mention that for some strange reason I totally dig the yellow nightstand! Although (again, my opinion only :) in that case you should stick with mostly dark espresso furniture, white with yellow is hard to not make look like a child's room :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well...I REALLY like the black/white/grey clean look! But instead of yellow, which makes it a bit bumble-bee-ish, how about a granny smith green? I walked around IKEA this weekend and thought that color scheme looked neat. I would stick to the black furniture scheme you have, with fresh white linens, and lamps to keep it bright.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks ladies for comments. I too am in love with the idea of the yellow night stands but they may be dependent on if I find the right ones in time. Who knows, I may also find the perfect carved headboard for that gorgeous black lacquered look and then can ensure I'm not matchy-matchy with combination pf matte and shiny black furniture.

    ReplyDelete